Wednesday, November 21, 2018

[Get Grateful - Day 6 of 7]: Gratitude Writing Challenge - Leveraging Language

Writing Prompt #6: Leveraging Language
  1. Notice how often you say “I have to x, y, or z; or I should x, y or z.” “I have to go pick up the kids from school.” “I should go to this work function.” I have to go to the gym.”
  2. Any time you catch yourself saying that write it down and replace “I have to” or “I should” with “I choose to.”Because really you don’t have to do anything! If you are doing it, you are choosing to, so own up to it. Make sure you make this correction not only as you speak aloud to others but also in your head.
  3. Once “I choose to” feels like it has become your truth, take it a step further and replace “I choose to” with “I get to.” I can guarantee you someone would die to be in your shoes. You have to go pick up the kids from school? There’s someone out there who would do anything to have children of their own. You should go to a work function? There’s someone out there who thinks your job is their dream job and would love to be in your shoes. You have to go to the gym? There’s someone out there whose body does not allow them to go to the gym, so be grateful and honor the body you have. You “get to” do so many amazing things. Appreciate them!
  4. Once “I get to” feels like it has become your truth, take it a step further and replace “I get to” with “I want to.” Because if and when you can say this and actually mean it, you will want to!


Hm....  we'll have to see how this goes.  I'm pretty skeptical on this one.  I can see myself getting from "should"/"have" to "choose".  Not sure about making the step from "choose" to "get" (I understand the premise - just not sure I will see it that way) and the leap to "want" might be too much in some circumstances.

Let's take Day 5's fact as an example.    

I have to pick up the boys from school.  
There is no bus service and we live 3+ miles from school with no sidewalks so someone at some point needs to pick up  the boys from school.


I choose to pick up the boys from school.
There is a place inside for students to wait after school.  The boys could wait until my work day is over or until dad is passing by on his way home from work.  However, I choose to pick up the boys shortly after school gets out so they do not have to wait in the commons (aka cafeteria) area of the high school.  

I get to pick up the boys from school.
Not sure I can make this leap.  Yes, I am thankful that I have a reliable vehicle to pick up the kids.  Yes, I am thankful that my work day is flexible enough to allow this interruption in my work day to provide them a timely ride home.  On the other hand, without that interruption, my work day would end sooner and I would have another hour or more without them making noise in the house.

? I want to pick up the boys from school?
Nope, not going to happen.  I want them to have bus transportation or be old enough to drive themselves.


No comments: