Saturday, November 17, 2018

[Get Grateful - Day 2 of 7]: Gratitude Writing Challenge - Looking Around

Writing Prompt #2: What are you grateful for that is around you?

Your physical surroundings (such as a house, car, country, city or state), external surroundings (such birds chirping, sun shining, rain falling) or emotional surroundings (such as the love you feel for or from someone).

Walk yourself through the past 24 hours in detail and make a note of the things that you appreciate but rarely take time to stop and appreciate.



This should be a relatively easy post to write.  This month I have been doing a daily "I am thankful..." post on Facebook where I have looked for an item/event from the day.  I have skipped all the usual health, family, friends, shelter, love etc.. posts and looked for something specific to that day.  So this post is dropping back and writing all the things I usually take for granted....

☺ My health.  I may be overweight and getting older but I am still on the right side of the grass.  I can get around unaided, only take one daily medication, wear contacts but overall I consider myself lucky.

 My home.  It's not the grandest of homes but it is more than enough for me and my family.  It's keeps us warm and stores all of the stuff we have accumulated over the years.  And the acre plus of land gives us room to just be.

☺ My family.  One faithful husband of 27+ years and three healthy children.  We drive each other crazy and love each other.  The kids have grown faster than I expected.  Some days have seemed to be never-ending but the years have gone by quicker than I realized.

 My job.  Another thing that makes me crazy on a frequent basis.  However, it has allowed me to send my children to Catholic grade school, participate in extra curricular activities (dance, theater, Girl Scouts, Cub/Boy Scouts).  

 My side gig.  I wasn't supposed to become attached to the grade school kids.  I was just supposed to come in for lunch hour every day and collect money.  Their smiles and jokes have drawn me in and kept me moving every day (even on those days when I wish I could just sleep all day)

  My freedom.  Living in a country where we can move about in relative safety and make choices is a good thing.  Sometimes I get aggravated by the politicians who seem to be constantly battling but then I remember that I am free to ignore their rhetoric.

  My friends.  I have plenty of situational acquaintances who fulfill my daily need for interaction.  The few close friends all have special places in my heart.  Some I don't see for months (or years) at a time and yet we can always pick up and continue like we haven't missed a beat. 

☺ My dad's wisdom.  He's been gone for 13 months now but I can still hear his voice anytime I need to figure something out.  You taught me well dad.

☺ My mom.  I might be past the half century mark but there's nothing like the ability to call mom for advice.

☺ My in-laws.  There's nothing like your kids being close to their grandparents.  (and not just for the free babysitting!).

☺ The play of sunlight and clouds

☺ Steady hands for coloring

☺ Eyesight  (it might be nearsighted and require contacts but I still see!)

☺ Hearing  (so I don't miss those "awful" jokes at the dinner table)

☺The ability to type  (helps since I am a programmer and makes writing posts go quicker)

☺The ability to play piano (as long as I have the sheet music)

☺ Words with Friends.  It's my daily check-in with friends and family who I don't see often.  We don't have to say anything.  Just the playing of a word lets us know the other is still on the right side of the grass ;)







No comments: