Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Rainy day subbing in the 7th and 8th grade

The Reading and Social Studies teacher asked me weeks ago to sub for her today.  It is a rainy, rainy day and remarkably the students are subdued.  Sometimes on a rainy day they can get a small case of cabin fever, especially when there have been other rainy days recently.

It's always interesting to see what lessons I will re-learn when teaching.  This morning's 7th grade Social Studies class was a review of the three branches of the Federal Government.  Eighth grade social studies was a lesson in growing urbanization in the late 19 century.  Eighth grade reading class was a continuation of the reading of The Pearl.   Now as we have a few minutes to prepare for the afternoon, it will be a repeat of the 8th grade classes plus an extra "free" bell for me as another staff member is coming in to teach 7th grade reading where they are reading Tom Sawyer.

One of the eighth graders asked me this morning if I read The Pearl.  I'm sure I did but it has been so long ago that I remember nothing about the story.  Maybe I will use my free bell to see how much of the story I can read.

No comments: