Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Careful what you ask for...

I couldn't think of a topic today so I asked a friend for a topic.  Be careful what you ask.  The topic suggested was cramps.  Now what the heck am I supposed to do with that?  I thought about wimping out and writing about something else but I asked so the least I can do is follow through.

It's like being back in school again.  Quick! Write an essay on .  Brings back memories of grade school and makes me a little more empathetic to my sons' dislike of school.  When you are interested in Minecraft and Star Wars, why would you want to write about what moral lesson is conveyed by Maibon's wife's advice "Hoe your field or you'll have no crop to harvest, and no food for you, or me, or the little ones"  (the current story in the reading textbook is The Stone).

Oh, back to the topic of cramps.  If this were the old days (or if I were still in grade school), my hand would be cramping up about now.  I never learned to hold my pen/pencil lightly.  I always have a death grip on it so my hand cramps pretty quickly.  Add my carpel tunnel to it and writing longhand can be a painful process for me.  Makes me wonder why I keep a handwritten journal still.  I usually have to stop at least once on every page to let the tingling subside.

What is the point of cramps?  To make you slow down?  I understand when I am writing with a death grip on the pen that my hand would cramp and force me to stop.  Or cramps in your legs when you run too far or too fast.  But the worst?  Charlie horse leg cramps that wake you in the middle of the night!  What purpose does a sharp pain waking you from a deep sleep serve?  Nothing like waking up trying not to scream and wake up your spouse and trying to get out of bed and not stub your toe so you can walk off the pain.

I got nothing.  If this was a school assignment, I would probably get a C.  I wrote something but I didn't really cover the topic.  Oh well, tomorrow is another day...  and I see some beautiful cloud formations reflecting the setting sun outside.


No comments: