Wednesday, March 25, 2020

I escaped....



My Facebook post from tonight just after 10pm.

I've been good about staying home since school closed after classes on Friday the 13th. I did do some errands the few days after that but for the last week, I have been mostly in the house with a few forays into the yard when it wasn't raining.

When the Ohio legislature passed a bill saying that the Ohio primary will be concluded by absentee ballot only (instead of the governor's proposal to do in-person voting on June 2nd), I printed the forms for the three adults in our household.  We filled them out and put them in an envelope.  Instead of putting it in our mailbox for pickup delivery, I opted to take my car out for a run  (it hasn't been run for over a week). 

Things I learned or observed on my drive.

1. A 6 speed manual transmission makes a good zoom-zoom car.  All you have to do is shift a little late.
2. Old town Harrison looks about the same as always on a Wednesday night after 9 pm.  Know the old joke about rolling up the sidewalks?  That's pretty much how it always is and it was tonight.
3. A short run on the expressway (about four miles from the last exit in Indiana to the first exit in Ohio) is fun after you have been cooped up for a while.  And it was good for the car to blow out the dirt.
4. The price of gas has really dropped.  I have a full tank from about 10 days ago when I filled up at a dollar ninety something.  Tonight the Speedway was $1.67 and the BP and UDF were $1.64.    By the time I need fuel again, the price will probably be higher (oh well)
5. The stars are still there.  With days of rainy and cloudy weather, it's been near impossible to stargaze. After I parked the car in the barn, I stopped to appreciate the numerous stars (and Venus) that are visible.  One of the advantages of living in the boondocks.
6. The area really is quieter.  While standing in the driveway looking at stars, I could hear the trucks on the expressway about 2.5 miles away.   In the 22+ years we have lived here, I've heard the expressway traffic several times but our everyday life is usually too noisy to hear it on a regular basis.  The Cheviot house I grew up in was a little over 1.5 miles (as the crow flies) from the expressway and I don't ever remember hearing expressway traffic there.

Tomorrow is a new day and it will be back to programming and a bit of house cleaning.  Tomorrow is dust the dining room day for the kids.  They will be happy to know it's the last of the dusting for a while (I promised Meredith no dusting jobs for 3 weeks)  Although with the warm weather forecast for the next few days, I may open my bedroom windows and dust there.  Parts of the room have some serious dust accumulation.  The dust bunnies have not organized yet ;-)



No comments: